The Incredibles


In anticipation of going to see The Incredibles 2 this weekend, I thought it would be fun to talk about the first one! The Incredibles was the first movie I remember seeing in the movie theater and growing up was one of my families favorite movies to watch together. I'm pretty sure my dad still has his Mr. Increcible t-shirt! The movie is, in a word ... incredible 😛

The Incredibles was released in 2004 and is the story of the Parr family. Bob and Helen live with their 3 children doing their best to live a normal life. But Bob struggles with wanting to relive the glory days of saving the world. He is summoned to help a company stop an out of control robot, and gets in trouble. Now it's up to his family to save him.

Even 14 years later, The Incredibles is still recognized as a great superhero film for all ages! It perfectly blends fun, action, and humor for all. The movie mostly focuses on what it means to be a hero, and how they can come in all sizes. 

Each member of the Parr family has a different power that makes them unique. They all have their individual strengths and weaknesses. Similarly, each strength WE have is a gift from God. 1 Peter 4:10 says "Each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God's varied grace." We are each made unique to bring glory to God in a way that no one else can. And, in our weaknesses, God reveals His strength in us. Psalm 46:1 tells us "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble."

The strongest theme across this movie is that of family and the value that comes with unity in a family. I recently talked in my Coco blog (click here to read it) about the value and importance of family presented in that film as well. It is a very common theme in most Disney Pixar movies to show different types of families and how they need to work together for success. I myself value family a lot in my personal life and greatly enjoy seeing it portrayed in film in so many different ways.

Each member of a family has something to contribute, even the Incredibles. Bob and Helen may be Dash and Violet's parents, but even they learn valuable lessons in the importance of a family. I always liked this because real life can be the same. Adults make mistakes too, and can learn from their own children just as children learn from their parents. Life is a continuous journey of growth for us all, no matter our age. I always love a movie that has a message for everyone, and The Incredibles is just that!

Since my childhood, The Incredibles has always been one of my favorite movies. It never feels stale or out of date, even as an adult I thoroughly enjoy repeat viewings. I am excited to see where the sequel finally takes us! I have heard great things so far about it, and you can definitely look forward to a discussion on that one next week!

God bless! 😃 
Austin

Be my friend and follow me on Facebook! Faith & Film

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Treasure Planet

The Incredibles 2

The Iron Giant