Stranger Things (Season 1)


Recently, in anticipation of season 2 of Stranger Things releasing later this month, I have been re-watching season 1 to refresh myself on the story and characters. It was one of my favorite shows last year, and I can't wait to see what comes next. When I first watched the show, I instantly fell in love with the characters and the story. Each character was so well written and interesting, and the story was very engaging.

For those who have not seen the show, it takes place in the rural fictional town of Hawkins in the year 1984, and the general premise is 4 boys (Mike, Dustin, Lucas, and Will) who are best friends are hanging out one night playing a game together at one of their houses. Once they are finished for the night, Dustin, Lucas, and Will all head home on their bikes. While on their ride (Lucas has already gone on his own) Will challenges Dustin to a race back to their houses (they are neighbors). Will gets far in the lead, but falls off his bike when he is startled by some kind of monster in the road. Moments later, as the creature chases him through the woods back to his house, he disappears. Throughout the rest of the season, his friends try to find out what happened and where he is, while discovering more than they could have ever imagined about their little town and what is going on inside it.


The way people who believe in this monster (called the Demogorgon) and search for it throughout the show is incredible. The lengths they go to attempting to convince others of the monsters existence; and the need to find it and save Will and find out what is really happening in Hawkins is inspiring. Recently in my rewatch, this aspect really stood out to me.  In my own life, I know of God's existence and impact on our world, but how often do I forget that throughout my daily life. Do I go to great lengths to show the world God's love and His character and who He is? Do I make a intentional effort to dig deeper in my relationship with God and become more like Him?

In the show, the kids want to learn everything they can about the demogorgon. They want to understand how it thinks and behaves, where it lives. Anyone can say they want to learn how God thinks and acts in our world, but how deep are we willing to dig? John 17:3 says: "This is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent." I don't just want to "know" about God, I want to truly know who He is, and understand how I can live the life He wants, showing others how amazing a relationship with Him can be. I don't want to be a "wishy-washy", "lukewarm" Christian. I want to be on fire for God. In the show, Joyce (Will's mother) will not be swayed in the slightest in her belief that her son is alive and that she can find and save him. No matter how crazy people think she is, she has faith that she will find her son. I don't ever want to doubt my faith in God, I desire to wholeheartedly trust Him and His will for my life.

I want to challenge you today to really make an effort to get to know God better; His character and who He is. There is so much God can do in one person's life that no one could have ever anticipated. Years ago, I never would have seen myself where I am today, but I am so thankful that God did know, and helped to keep me on that path to get me to where I now am. God really has an incredible way of guiding those seeking His will to a place of remarkable peace and joy.

God bless! 😀
HisDisciple319

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Treasure Planet

The Incredibles 2

The Iron Giant